brief life update
1) Let me start with the bad news: it looks like I’m getting screwed out of batting practice yet again. The sun is shining right now here in New York City, but I probably won’t be going to Yankee Stadium. Why? Because the power is dead in half my apartment (fridge included) and my landlord is supposedly sending an electrician to fix it. I would have to leave by 3pm to get to the stadium, and the guy is supposed to get here “at around two o’clock.” Fabulous.
2) I’m leaving for Baltimore tomorrow morning, whether or not my damn power comes back on. My food can rot and grow mold for all I care. Baltimore is happening. I’ll be there for three games.
3) I’ve been working on a chapter called “Foul Ball Lore” for my new book, and I’ve found some really bizarre/funny stories. So…I’m having fun with it, but it’s also stressing me out. I can’t believe I have to finish writing the entire book in less than nine months.
4) Is there anyone from Kansas City who reads this blog? If so, leave a comment or send me an email. It looks like I’m gonna be on TV when I’m out there next week, and I want to find someone who can tape it (so that I don’t have to rely on the Royals or beg anyone else in the media to do it). The interview/segment has the potential to be GREAT, so assuming it happens, I absolutely must get my hands on a copy.
5) I’m having major problems with that Beat The Streak game. I’ve been playing for a week, and the longest “streak” I’ve been able to amass has been ONE game. Technically, that’s not even a streak. If you add up the performances of all the players I’ve picked, they’ve gone 2-for-24 combined. That’s an .083 batting average. I suck.
Goodbye for now.
UPDATE #1 — It’s 4:08pm. No electrician. Not even a phone call.
UPDATE #2 — 4:53pm. The electrician is here! My ice cream is melting. (Ben & Jerry’s “Cinnamon Buns” and Häagen Dazs “Pineapple Coconut.”) I’ve written 206 outstanding words for my book so far today. Probably won’t get too much more done. Gotta do laundry, watch the Yankee game (even though it’ll make me miserable to see a game on TV that I should’ve been at), and prepare for my trip.
UPDATE #3 — 5:15pm. The electrician is gone. He made a quick fix that’ll hold me over until ConEd can get here, and get this…he did it from the basement. I live on the 8th floor. In other words, I didn’t even have to BE HERE. Unreal. I missed out on a game (and Pitch In For Baseball missed out on a couple hundred bucks’ worth of donations) for no good reason. I think I’ll get back to work and write about Jay Gibbons hitting his wife with a foul ball. (I’d like to hit a few people in the balls right about now…)